Aroid breeding problems

  • Subject: Aroid breeding problems
  • From: Brian Williams <pugturd@alltel.net>
  • Date: Tue, 06 Jan 2009 02:39:05 -0500

 It looks  like the pollen of this plant is good on other plants in the
same genus but no pollen from the other species seems to work with it. I
am guessing I will have to back cross the hybrids back to the this plant
the father.

Julius as for pure species aren't alot of them just ancient natural
hybrids?  I have always loved the true species. The problem is some of
the best forms are hard for me to grow up north. So I am trying to make
them a little faster hardier and tougher. Adding color and other traits
is always a pluse. Don't worry Julius I am not messing with any of your
favorite genus groups (YET!)

I know this may open a box of worms, but I am curious if these plants
are said to evolve from one another then why are these barricades even
present? I can see this being more difficult for other genus but for
different species it seems very odd. You would think more genus crosses
would be more frequent and not as rare as they seem to be as well.  Just
my thoughts.