aroids for teaching

  • Subject: aroids for teaching
  • From: "derek burch" <dburch23@bellsouth.net>
  • Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2009 17:53:33 -0500

Carol, I wonder if you may be making this too difficult for yourself. There
are some very common things - cultivars for the most part but a few species
are available -which fit your size requirement and free-blooming need, and
are easy to grow (that is why they have become common).

There is no point going for "rare". The students will not learn anything
more from a plant scarcely known to science than they will from my
suggestions: the new more dwarf anthuriums sold as flowering pot plants, and
Spathiphyllum. The anthuriums in particular are almost ever-blooming, and
are so floriferous that several classes can tear each up an inflorescence
without you grieving over the end of a flowering cycle. If you want to make
an interesting comparison, grow some Spathicarpa, and there is a sure-fire
way to get them speculating about what bits are comparable and what are not.

I'm sure that you will get some other great ideas from real aroiders, but I
taught taxonomy for so long that I tend to shy away from fancy and go for
what is sure to work.

Regards, Derek