aroid recommendations

Hello Good People,

     I work at a university greenhouse that supports, among other things, the teaching of a plant taxonomy class.  Can you please recommend some species in the Araceae family that I could grow for the class?

Requirements:  1) Tropical or subtropical, a year round greenhouse grower.   2) Can be kept to about a 6 inch pot size or smaller and be a blooming size plant.  3) Ideally the plant would bloom fairly often or could be convinced to bloom around the second half of September in a greenhouse in the USA, West Virginia. 4) flower structure, fairly typical spathe and spadix.

     I have lurked on this list a while so I am somewhat familiar with the family.  I can supply dry and or cool resting periods or extra heat and or light to encourage the plant at the needed time of the year.  I would prefer a true species but an example is much better than no example.  Between this greenhouse and another on campus we have several examples of species in the family but they are mostly philodendrons and Dieffenbachia that either don't bloom very often or only bloom when they are larger plants than we are usually able to accommodate.

     If you suggest something out of the ordinary, which I personally would prefer, please include some hints on where to obtain plants.
Feel free to reply publicly or privately.

Thanks for any help on this.

Carol McCarthy

carol.mccarthy@mail.wvu.edu
West Virginia University - Dept. of Biology
Greenhouse Manager