Re: Philodendron rubrocinctum

  • Subject: Re: Philodendron rubrocinctum
  • From: ExoticRainforest <Steve@ExoticRainforest.com>
  • Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2009 14:48:33 -0600

Thanks Tom, and I will change the tag right away to an unknown species.

The plant was purchased for me by Steve Marak at an orchid show in Dallas approximately one year ago and was supplied by Ecuagenera.  I asked the guys at Ecuagenera for any additional information and received this message from Gilberto, "This plant was collected 7 years ago in San Juan Bosco ,Morona Santiago Province, in the Amazon side of Ecuador at an altitude of 1.500 m above sea level."   As you know, this region is near the border with Peru.  So it now appears I may have another unidentified plant.  It has begun to climb approximately 1/3 up a 42 inch totem so hopefully I'll soon be able to get photos of the cataphylls and with some luck perhaps an inflorescence in the spring.

Thanks again!

Steve

Tom Croat wrote:

Dear Steve :  Your plant has no relationship to Philodendron rubrocinctum Engl.  Phil. Rubrocinctum is related to P. nanegalense  but I don’t know it.  It is from Cauca Dept. at Belalcayar at 1000 m.  It has scaly petioles,  Your plant apparently does not.

Tom