Re: Aquatic aroids

  • Subject: Re: Aquatic aroids
  • From: "Marek Argent" <abri1973@wp.pl>
  • Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2009 18:44:54 +0100

I don't recommend Spathiphyllum - it is not an aquatic plant although it is
often sold in aquaristic shops. It usually dies after a few months spent in
You can also sometimes find Syngonium, Epipremnum, Aglaonema, Alocasia,
Dieffenbachia, Homalomena and Caladium sold as "water plants" -
they are also not aquatic and they rot living underwater.
Cyrtosperma is too large for your aquarium, it can grow half submerged - the
roots in the water and the leaves above,
then you should have installed additional lighting above the leaves.
In your smaller aquarium I suggest you to create a paludarium - plants
growing in wet peat with a fertilizer.
This way you can cultivate many aroids, all these which require high
(Alocasia, Colocasia, many Anthuriums, Zantedeschia, Spathiphyllum)
but not these which fall into dormancy (like Amorphophallus or Arisaema).
A paludarium is also a better place for many Anubias species than an
You can have in any aquarium Lemna, Spirodela and Pistia but many fishes
like to eat them.
If it is not too hot you can try Calla palustris, Orontium aquaticum or
Lysichitons but I don't guarantee a success.

Marek Argent