Re: Aquatic aroids

  • Subject: Re: Aquatic aroids
  • From: <ju-bo@msn.com>
  • Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2009 20:43:35 +0000

Hello Taylor,

Welcome to the world of aroids and the IAS, especially aquatic species, only SOME of which do well in aquariums!  I`ll try to give you my opinions on the ones you mention and which you are interested in obtaining.  I also received the note from my good friend Steve Lucas, and will add replies to his questions in the notes here.  His suggestion of getting a copy of Deni Bown`s book is a VERY good idea, she covers aquarium plants and ALL the ones you mention.
Pista stratiotes is a real weed here in Florida AND throughout the warm areas worldwide, clogging canals and drainage areas, so transporting it (and water Hyacinth) are, I believe illegal!   Pista produces almost microscopic seeds, slightly larger than the size of a poppy seed you would see on a bagel.   I HEAR that this floating plant is SOMETIMES seen for sale in aquarium stores ''up North"", maybe you could snag one up there.   It needs very bright light to thrive under aquarium conditions, and is usually an outside pond plant.
Spathiphyllum and Cyrtosperma would NOT survive underwater aquarium conditions, so scratch those from your list.  I see Spathiphyllums sold in aquarium stores, but they would only survive underwater for a short time.
You mention Typhonodorum---this is one of the giants of the world of aroids, think a banana-like tree 5 ft. tall, a 6'spread of BIG leaves, its pseudotrunk as thick around as your thigh.   Seeds of this are the size of a whole prune, and seedlings are TALL (18"+), they also will NOT survive underwater!
The best aroids for aquarium culture are in fact two which you mention, Anubias and Cryptocoryne, several species of the second available, a couple of Anubias are great grown underwater in aquariums once they establish themselves.
Where do you live??   Your best bet would be to locate a GOOD aquarium store, talk with the manager and ask if and when he gets shipments of water plants, as there are other non-aroids which do VERY well in aquariums, some have been around and grown in aquariums since aquarium culture began!

Good Luck, I HOPE this helps and does not discourage you!

The Best,

Julius