Aquatic aroids

Almost all the Spathiphyllum I grow are in the house as house plants.  There are three in the atrium but they don't appear to like all the water from the overhead misting system and almost never produce an inflorescence.  It is my opinion that is because all of these are hybrids (not species) and have been bred to survive on minimal water and in low light.  But I thought for certain I had read in some of Dr. Croat's material that Spathiphyllum do in fact grow in water.  I asked him if the genus was a marginal.  This is the note he just sent, "Steve:  If you mean by “marginal” that they are along the margins of streams, yes, but they also occur out in the depths of the understory, sometimes in full sun too, especially along wet banks.  The genus is a hog for water and probably would not do well in really dry sites.

Steve Lucas

Marek Argent wrote:

I don't recommend Spathiphyllum - it is not an aquatic plant although it is
often sold in aquaristic shops. It usually dies after a few months spent in
You can also sometimes find Syngonium, Epipremnum, Aglaonema, Alocasia,
Dieffenbachia, Homalomena and Caladium sold as "water plants" -
they are also not aquatic and they rot living underwater.
Cyrtosperma is too large for your aquarium, it can grow half submerged - the
roots in the water and the leaves above,
then you should have installed additional lighting above the leaves.
In your smaller aquarium I suggest you to create a paludarium - plants
growing in wet peat with a fertilizer.
This way you can cultivate many aroids, all these which require high
(Alocasia, Colocasia, many Anthuriums, Zantedeschia, Spathiphyllum)
but not these which fall into dormancy (like Amorphophallus or Arisaema).
A paludarium is also a better place for many Anubias species than an
You can have in any aquarium Lemna, Spirodela and Pistia but many fishes
like to eat them.
If it is not too hot you can try Calla palustris, Orontium aquaticum or
Lysichitons but I don't guarantee a success.

Marek Argent