Re: Off the wall question from a newbie. preserving the blooms

  • Subject: Re: Off the wall question from a newbie. preserving the blooms
  • From: bonaventure@optonline.net
  • Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2009 19:37:52 +0000 (GMT)

Scary thing. I'd think you'd have to run a perfusion line through it. Replace its internal fluids with a formaldehyde solution (Formalin, embalming fluid). Somewhere in there there must be a beating heart!

No, seriously, I saw this on the Discovery Channel - scientists took the freshly deceased corpse of a giant squid and soaked it in a huge vat of said solution with multiple injections by syringe into the body for an even infusion. I don't recall if they did an ethanol series dehydration first (50, 70, 85, 95, 100%).
This took several months but had to be initiated quickly to inhibit the growth of bacteria which were already present in the tissues of the squid.

Perhaps the American Museum of Natural History (?) would be interested in hanging the preserved titanum next to the giant squid for a really macabre display!

Bonaventure Magrys