Re: Off the wall question from a newbie. preserving the blooms

  • Subject: Re: Off the wall question from a newbie. preserving the blooms
  • From: Steve Marak <samarak@gizmoworks.com>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2009 00:17:37 -0600 (CST)

Although it's not a technique that's available to most of us - certainly
not to me - some years back I read an article about using vacuum
dessication for preserving all sorts of specimens, plant and otherwise,
with remarkable results.

I think I recall that they combined this with cold, so that the water just
sublimed out of the specimen.

On Mon, 19 Jan 2009, bonaventure@optonline.net wrote:

> Scary thing. I'd think you'd have to run a perfusion line through it.
> Replace its internal fluids with a formaldehyde solution (Formalin,
> embalming fluid). Somewhere in there there must be a beating heart!

> No, seriously, I saw this on the Discovery Channel - scientists took the
> freshly deceased corpse of a giant squid and soaked it in a huge vat of
> said solution with multiple injections by syringe into the body for an
> even infusion. I don't recall if they did an ethanol series dehydration
> first (50, 70, 85, 95, 100%). This took several months but had to be
> initiated quickly to inhibit the growth of bacteria which were already
> present in the tissues of the squid.

> Perhaps the American Museum of Natural History (?) would be interested
> in hanging the preserved titanum next to the giant squid for a really
> macabre display!

> Bonaventure Magrys

-- Steve Marak
-- samarak@gizmoworks.com