Brazilian aroid question

  • Subject: Brazilian aroid question
  • From: "Derek Burch" <derek@horticulturist.com>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2011 09:10:15 -0500

I have received a request for help, and I am wondering if any of our ethno-botanists (or others) have any ideas.

“I'm hoping you can help me identify a particular aroid, or direct me to someone who may help.

The plant in question was pointed out to me when I was visiting the Amazon near Manaus back in 2000.  There is little I can tell you about it except that it was an epiphytic species with long fleshy roots that, when crushed, emitted an intense and very pleasant aroma, unusual in being both floral and fruity at the same time.  I was told there was some commercial interest in the plant so was hoping it could be identified on this minimal description.”

Simon Mayo has suggested this possibility:

“As regards the description you forwarded, it could be a Philodendron subgenus Meconostigma, and around Manaus the two most likely possibilities would be P. goeldii or P. solimoesense. They have thick, wrinkled feeder roots packed with resin canals that have a smell like he describes. It would be good if he knew what the leaves were like.”

This sounds good to me (and I have forwarded it to the questioner). Does anyone else have any isuggestions?

Derek