Re: Xanthosoma maculatum

  • Subject: Re: Xanthosoma maculatum
  • From: "Julius Boos" <ju-bo@email.msn.com>
  • Date: Sun, 1 Jul 2001 11:24:53 -0500 (CDT)

-----Original Message-----
From: George Yao <gcyao@netasia.net>
To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
Date: Sunday, June 24, 2001 8:36 PM
Subject: Xanthosoma maculatum

Dear George,

IF poss., please post a photo!   This 'Hilo Beauty' at various times has
been assigned to at least FOUR gerena that I know of, Colocasia, Xanthosoma,
Alocasia AND Caladium.   I have been told that it has been known to flower
in cultivation, so this is yet another plea to anyone who grows this plant
to put any bloom it may produce in rubbing alcohol and get it (or at least a
GOOD photo of the entire bloom, AND then a cut-away showing the entire
spadix) to SOMEONE who can ID it to genus!

Good growing to all,

Julius

>>Hi everyone,

I visited a friend this morning and he showed me a plant tagged as
Xanthosoma maculatum. It looked very similar to Alocasia 'Hilo Beauty' in
markings, but the leaves were more the shape of Xanthosoma sagittaefolium.
Anyone can tell me anything about this plant?

George Yao <gcyao@netasia.net>
Metro-Manila, Philippines