RE: [Aroid-l] Re: Sauromatum guttatum culture

  • Subject: RE: [Aroid-l] Re: Sauromatum guttatum culture
  • From: "Deni Bown" deni@yaxhampark.co.uk
  • Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2005 10:55:16 +0100

Greetings to all fans of Typhonium venosum, the aroid with a spathe like
leopard skin, a smell like you've trodden in something, and the most elegant
exotic-looking foliage for a temperate garden.

If it's any help in the discussion, every year my plants bloom, set fruits,
and self-seed in both sun and shade in my garden in Norfolk, England, where
we have relatively cold wet autumns, winters and springs, from October to
April, interspersed with brief periods below freezing - usually no lower
than minus 7 C (about 21 F), but hardly an improvement to sodden wet ground.
The tubers must therefore be very tolerant of both low temps and wet
conditions when dormant.

With low temperatures, plants don't usually show signs of life till June - I
have some still blooming now in very shady places - but soon make up for
lost time.  They get biggest in areas that are mulched annually with
mushroom compost (i.e. waste from mushroom growing that consists of
well-rotted, sterilized straw + horse manure).

In other words, it's as tough as old boots, so unless you live in
permafrost, swamp, or desert, I would plant it out and see how it does.

All the best,

Deni Bown