Re: [Aroid-l] Philodendron adamantinum?

  • Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] Philodendron adamantinum?
  • From: Ken Mosher ken@spatulacity.com
  • Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2006 00:08:30 -0400

Forgive me, but P. adamantinum doesn't have anything to do with a metal endoskeleton being grafted into a mutant aroid, does it? Perhaps when it sees a non-aroid competing for scarce jungle resources it lashes out and slices the intruder to ribbony bits? Perhaps it augments the spadix in ways we all can only dream of?

OK, end of joke. And I swear I won't make any more mutant-powered spadix jokes until Lord P has had a turn.

-Ken

Ron Weeks wrote:
The Brazilian philodendron seed has been available for over thirty years. Few of the rare mecanostigmas are even in collections and definitely not in cultivation. You draw the conclusion.

The giant philodendron might be P. maximum. It is not a mecanostigma. The largest leaf I had was 76", 193cm, or 4.171240395 Greek cubits. I do not know of any philodendron with a larger leaf blade. There might be a few plants with leaves 36-48" available at the Aroid Show. My seedlings are still very tiny.
-Ron Weeks