Re: [Aroid-l] FW: Id?

  • Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] FW: Id?
  • From: Ken Mosher ken@spatulacity.com
  • Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2006 00:19:39 -0400

Ron - as I surveyed my trays of Am. atroviridis 'Midnight' I did indeed find one with a solid, reddish milk chocolate-colored petiole; no markings. But no guarantee that it won't develop markings in subsequent seasons. Am. albus does that, solid green petiole during year 1 and often 2 (from being an offset), spots after that.

-Ken

Ken Mosher wrote:
Ron,

Your leaf description sounds like how I'd describe Am. atroviridis' dark form, sometimes being called 'Midnight'. Did the tuber look like atroviridis? Sometimes the young tubers aren't that distinctive, but for an 18" petiole you ought to have gotten the characteristic shape.

The plants I have in leaf of that cultivar so far do have petiole mottling, but they're milk-chocolate brown, maybe slightly more reddish. You said yours are solid color, maybe that's within the natural variability.

-Ken Mosher