RE: [Aroid-l] P. adamantinum--NO

  • Subject: RE: [Aroid-l] P. adamantinum--NO
  • From: "Julius Boos" ju-bo@msn.com
  • Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2006 09:53:28 +0000

From : 	a san juan <kalim1998@yahoo.com>
Sent : Tuesday, July 11, 2006 9:17 PM
To : aroid-l@gizmoworks.com
Subject : [Aroid-l] Philodendron adamantinum?

Hi There,

Quite a few years ago many of us on this aroid-L page, including Brian, made an import of seeds that were sold from Brazil as being from several species of rare Philos. from the Meconostigma group, I ordered seeds of P. saxicolum, others ordered seeds of many others including P. adamantenum.
ALL of the seeds sold as being from the Meconostigmum group, INCLUDING those said to be from P. adamantenium, grew to be P. bipin.`s, NONE sold as being from the Meconostigma group were anything else! Some seeds sold as being from the vine-like Philos seemd to grow as what they were sold as.
Brian, in good faith, sold juv. plants grown from seed labeled as P. adamantenium as being P. adamantinium, but at adulthood all, to the best of my knowledge, grew to be P. bipinn., including the one that was (or is) on the MOBOT site listed as being P. adamantinium. I did inform MOBOT of what appeared to be an error in I.D. on this photo, and posted a note to this L on the 'problem' with the South American seller of seeds.
I believe that Ron has answered the one about the second Philo. species reported by Dr. Croat.

Good Growing,

Julius

Several times over the years people have wondered about some of the rarer Meconostigma, like Philodendron adamantinum.
I bought a putative specimen of this species from Brian last year and it has grown a bit, and I'm at pains to know whether this is really the correct species.....I also found a pic of the adult form on the web.

http://blueboard.com/aroid/index.php?topic=161

I would also like to know whether the very large meconostigma that Dr. Croat mentioned from his trip to South America has ever been cultured (there was some talk about Ron (?) doing this):

"The trip back to the south was just as slow but since we knew what we were up against there was lessapprehension. Among the most interesting species collected was a huge Philodendron that was common in the old leaf bases of a large palm tree. This species, which is probably new to science, is among the largest species of Philodendron that I have ever seen with sinnuate leaf blades to 165 cm long. Because of the undulate margins I first considered that it might be P. undulatum but that species has blades less than 80 cm long and interpetiolar squamulae up to 8 mm long whereas this unknown specieshas tiny scales 2 mm or less long and much larger blades."<