Mosterar deliciosa--info. on different clones.

  • Subject: Mosterar deliciosa--info. on different clones.
  • From: <ju-bo@msn.com>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2008 10:07:59 +0000

> Date: Sun, 6 Jul 2008 19:12:03 -0700
> From: lbmkjm@yahoo.com
> To: aroid-l@gizmoworks.com
> Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] Mosterar deliciosa

Dear Jason, Leyland and all Aroidophiles,

Aloha.
Vol 1 no. 1 also gave up another titbit of great information, as in his profile of Monstera deliciosa Madison states that "Several of the wild clones which are not widely grown are dwarf forms, achieving olny one third the size of the common ones."   The synonyms he lists are also interesting, and food for someone with a better computer that I own to investigate.   First off, the ''correct'' name is Monstera deliciosa  Lieb., Kjoeb, Vidensk, Meddel  19: 9 (1849).  The synonyms Madison lists are, in order--M. borsigiana  Engler [could this name be based on the, or one of the dwarf forms which we saw a photo of from Marak, and which had this name attached???]; M. lennea  Koch; Monstera tacanensis  Matuda; Philodendron pertusum Kunth & Bouche; (???) and Tornelia fragrans  Guttierez.   To me it would be an interesting exercise to attempt to determine the ''why'' concerning these great taxonomists describing another specimen of such a VERY distinctive plant as a new species.   If
 we could view the specimens involved, we just might learn that some of them, especially those of Koch, that of Matuda and Guttierez`s, might be the smaller dwarf forms which to them might have seemed to be distinct.
I see where "Philodendron'' pertusa  Kunth & Bouche is mentioned, we now know (thanks to Pete) this this is an Asain Raphiodophora sp. which in fact does resemble Monstera deliciosa.
Ah, so much to ponder and learn, and so little time!
Aloha.

Good Growing,

Julius

>>Dear Jason,

  Aloha.
  I took a quick look at the cover of the first Aroidiana online and did not see Monstera deliciosa...so perhaps the caption is correct...but I am not familiar with Monstera acuminata, so unless I can check the description and herbarium sheet of a vouchered specimen..I could not verify this species. I would trust Michael Madison...Monstera acuminata K.Koch is an accepted name according to Kew. Monstera acuminata is very beautiful as I look at the photo. I'll check if we grow it here in Hawaii somewhere. The table of contents mentions an aroid profile of Monstera deliciosa, so perhaps this is where that memory popped in. I do not believe there is chaos in this case.
  Aloha,
  Leland<<