ID please?

  • Subject: ID please?
  • From: Sheldon Hatheway <sfhatheway@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2008 18:57:24 -0700 (PDT)

Hi, all!!

I was meandering through the floral section of our local supermarket the other day and happened upon the attached plant.  Never having seen this one in real life before I thought I would ask the clerk what it was.

Clerk (reading generic label):  That's easy.  It's a 6" tropical foliage.
Me (trying to look patient):  I already know that.  I wanted to know what KIND of 6" tropical foliage.
Clerk (looking uneasy): Uh . . . I don't know . . . uh . . . GREEN?
Me (heaving great sigh): Thank you ever so much for your help.  I'll take it.

Now someone please tell me what this 6" tropical foliage plant is.  I know it's an aroid because of the flowers which you can barely see and which are completely closed.  Is it a Homalomena or something like that?

Thanks much for your help.

Sheldon Hatheway
Canby OR  zone 7B

PS:  Ignore the water spots on the leaves.  I'll clean those up after I chop (oops, I mean carefully dissect) it into its component pieces to make a bunch more of whatever it is.