Re: Does anyone know this Philodendron?

  • Subject: Re: Does anyone know this Philodendron?
  • From: ExoticRainforest <Steve@exoticrainforest.com>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2009 15:55:46 -0500

I received this note today from aroid botanist Simon Mayo at the Royal Botanic Garden Kew in London.  Simon has spent a lot of time in Brazil does not know it as well but I'd still like to know if any of you grow it!  Any info would help.  For some reason I've always thought this is a Brazilian species but the tag telling where I got it was displaced long ago.

Dear Steve,
It's still at the juvenile monopodial growth stage because the leaf sheaths are well-developed. Once it goes sympodial you should get leaves with virtually no sheath alternating with prophylls that have two keels and no blade.  It looks a bit as though it could turn into something resembling Ph. martianum, but at this juvenile stage it's hard to diagnose.   It isn't trailing so it probably has a compact habit and stoutish stem with short internodes when mature.  Possibly Brazil!  Sorry I can't do better!
All the best

Steve Lucas

ExoticRainforest wrote:

I've had this Philo for at least three years, likely more, and have no idea what it might be or where it originated.  I've taken the plant to Dr. Croat in St. Louis and he appears to believe it is fully grown but has no idea what it might be.  I've also sent these photos to several aroid botanists with no results.   Both the blades and the pot in the photo are approximately 15 cm (6 inches) and the entire plant is small.  I grow it in moderately bright light but have never seen an inflorescence.  I've included photos of both the adaxial and abaxial blade surfaces (upper and lower), the petioles and stem.  If any of you grow it or know where it originated I would appreciate the info.

Steve Lucas

Aroid-L mailing list
fn:Steve  Lucas

Aroid-L mailing list