Re: Arum dioscoridis x A. italicum hybrid

  • Subject: Re: Arum dioscoridis x A. italicum hybrid
  • From: "Marek Argent" <abri1973@wp.pl>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2010 01:46:43 +0200

Dear Tony,

I looked at the photos of the inflorescence of "×Sauronellia".
http://www.plantdelights.com/gallery/Aroids/Copy_of_xSauronellia_Sauromatum_Pinellia_pedatisecta_flowers_cut3?full=1
Until the DNA is examined we cannot talk about a new taxon at the range of a
genus,
it looks rather like a mutation of Sauromatum venosum.
This inflorescence is typical to the genus Sauromatum,
the female zone is free from the spathe, in Pinellia it is adnate (fused) to
the spathe,
There are pistillodes (sterile female flowers) which are absent in Pinellia
and the male flowers are distant from the female zone,
so we still have a typical Sauromatum inflorescence without any generic
features of Pinellia.
The only thing making it a supposed cross is the curved appendix,
but the inflorescence might be deformed.
I think you should send some juvenile plants to the experts of the Aroideae
subfamily,
the scientific research is necessary.

Best,
Marek Argent