Re: Amophophallus titanum at the Houston Museum of Natural Science

  • Subject: Re: Amophophallus titanum at the Houston Museum of Natural Science
  • From: "Weaver, Bill" <bill.weaver@hp.com>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2010 05:22:50 +0000

When mine bloomed the first time, the smell was not that intense and it sort of came in waves.

I managed to get some of the oil (or whatever it was) off the spadix and on my arm when I was
putting in the trays to catch the pollen and that continued to smell all day long. (It came
in very handy when folks were disappointed by the lack of smell, I could have them sniff my arm)

The second blooming stunk to high heaven and actually drew quite an impressive cloud of flies.
The cloud of flies waxed and waned along with the waves of scent.

Bill