Re: Wild Aroid Survey

  • Subject: Re: Wild Aroid Survey
  • From: "Wilbert Hetterscheid" <hetter@worldonline.nl>
  • Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2001 19:22:54 -0500 (CDT)

I do...... There was a time when I crossed (phor phun) two phalloids which I
suspected were closely related. The result was by chance a set of plants
with indeed intermediate characters. They were rather sensitive to
mechanical stress and only one survives. I never released anything from that
in public. When, however, I would create a fantastically beautiful Amorph.
hybrid with fine foliage etc. I would not hesitate to release it BUT with a
cultivar name, properly registered with an International Cultivar
Registration Authority. Same thing if I had a beautiful variant in a number
of specimens of one species. I could clonally propagate it, give it a
cultivar name, register it and there you are. This is what the plant
industry is all about folks, even on a small scale. Realise that there are
quite a number of named cultivars of Amorphophallus konjac, differing in
cultivation characters, or yields of glucomannan etc. There's a whole
industry out there based on agriculturally improved strains of
Amorphophallus konjac, and those of us that are on a diet based on Konnyaku,
utlise that to the full. So, what's wrong with that?

Lord P.