[aroid-l] amorphophapllus seed packaging

  • Subject: [aroid-l] amorphophapllus seed packaging
  • From: "Petra Schmidt" <petra@plantdelights.com>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2004 07:28:34 -0400

Hello,
Interesting comments on how to send amorphophallus seed through the mail
system here.  The preferred method, of course, is to send uncleaned berries
but that goes against customs regulations and results in destruction of the
package contents.  Moist cleaned seed sent in damp spaghnum is a good idea
if the package arrives in a few days.  We've had small packages of seed held
in customs for much longer than a few days and even cleaned seeds in damp
spaghnum can rot and/or mush out and begin to show signs of fungus and when
fungus is evident, the package is destroyed.  Timing is important, from how
long it takes to clean the seed to get it into packages to mail and then
from how long it takes to get to customs, through customs, and then on to
the seed receiver.  Seed wrapped in newspaper/paper towels and placed in zip
lock bags?  Again, a few days in shipment, o.k. but it sounds like a recipe
for fungal problems if held longer; we've had mushed seed arrive in the
paper towel/plastic bag method and have been surprised to see the damage,
i.e. poor germination.  Anything in plastic bags at this time of year in the
heat in this part of the USA is risky.  I'll point out that seed cleaned and
wrapped in dry spaghnum (not at all wet) and mailed is another option.  Even
the driest of seed can be revived by soaking in water for a few days and
germination has always been high (including amorphophallus), the key being
is that seed must be mature or close to being mature when harvested.
Anyone else have other comments or suggestions?  If we had more seeds to
play with, it would be worthwhile to actually do a sample test on various
packaging methods on aroid seed, mailed to/from/within the USA.
Petra

Petra Schmidt
Research Manager
Juniper Level Botanic Gardens @ Plant Delights Nursery