Re: ID on Philodendron

  • Subject: Re: ID on Philodendron
  • From: "Marcus Nadruz" <mnadruz@jbrj.gov.br>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2008 07:45:00 -0300

Dear Lucas,

I ask excuses for failure, in fact you are right and I knew but I just mentioned by custom P. scandens.
Thank you for correction.

Marcus

> Marcus, I do not wish to bicker, but you might want to read this page:
>
> http://www.exoticrainforest.com/Philodendron%20hederaceum%20pc.html
>
> I did a great deal of research which began close to two years ago with Dr. Croat's help.  P. scandens is simply a synonym of Philodendron hederaceum as are Arum hederaceum, Philodendron micans, Philodendron miduhoi, Philodendron oxycardium, Philodendron acrocardium, Philodendron cuspidatum, Philodendron hoffmannii, Philodendron microphyllum, Philodendron pittieri  and others.  It is true Philodendron hederaceum can grow quite large, up to 48cm (19 inches) in the rain forest.  But I would have difficulty accepting this specimen as P hederaceum (scandens) unless Dr. Croat has a differing opinion.  It is one of the most variable of all Philodendron species and is the source of great confusion.  The argument regarding the true name of this plant dates back to close to 180 years but is now settled in botany.  Still, collectors challenge the name all the time and continue to prefer P. scandens, P. micans and others.  I attempt to explain all of that in detail on the page link above and most of my material was given either by Dr. Croat in personal conversation in his office, via email or from his published work.  Please take the time to read the page and then offer your comments.
>
> Steve Lucas
> www.ExoticRainforest.com

> Dear friends,
> Certainly the species is neither eximium and not cordatum, but remembers very P. scandens, differing slightly because of yellow spots on some leaves.
> Marcus
> > Steve I cannot say for sure but this looks similar to plants I grew from
> > seed from Brazil as eximium. Which were later IDed as Agra dos Reis. I
> > now have what looks to be exactly the same plant that was collected in
> > Brazil as my seedlings and it is tagged as cordifolium. I know they are
> > not eximiums but am now confused if they are Agra dos Reis or
> > cordifolium. Either way they are beautiful species.
> > I have photos of the seedlings and mature plants if interesting in
> > seeing more. Thanks.
> >
> > ExoticRainforest wrote:
> >
> > > Can any of you give me a possible ID on this Philodendron?  The lrgest
> > > leaves are currently approximately 10 inches and I've had it for two
> > > years.  As you can see, some of the leaves are bicolorous.  It is kept
> > > in moderately low light so the color changes have little to do with
> > > the sunlight.  The upper side of the blade is glossy, bottom is
> > > slightly matte.  The plant has slightly red aerial roots.  The tag
> > > vanished so any possible ID would at least start me in the right
> > > direction.
> > >
> > > Thanks!
> > >
> > > Steve Lucas
> > > www.ExoticRainforest.com <http://www.ExoticRainforest.com>

Marcus A. Nadruz Coelho
Pesquisador Titular III
Diretoria de Pesquisas
Instituto de Pesquisas Jardim Botanico do Rio de
Janeiro/MMA
21 32042144
(http://www.jbrj.gov.br)