Re: Chaos in Monstera names

  • Subject: Re: Chaos in Monstera names
  • From: brian lee <lbmkjm@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2008 06:45:58 -0700 (PDT)

Dear Tom and the masses,

On an earlier post, I said that Monstera pertusa was a valid name...that was based on the Tropicos listing.  On the KEW monocot checklist, that name is considered Raphidophora pertusa.  Monstera and Rhapidophora are genera that I would like to study in greater detail,however, access to vouchered and correctly curated living collections are limited.

Pete, are you familiar with Rhaphidophora pertusa? I mention this because there is the discussion that many of the so-called Monstera pertusa are really Rhaphidophora tetrasperma.  Now, I noticed that the diatribution of Rhaphidophora tetrasperma and Rhapidophora pertusa are very distinct...the former from peninsular Thailand and peninsular Malaysia, and R. pertusa from southern India,Bangladesh,and Sri Lanka.  Can you comment on this? Are they similar species...especially in the sterile state?

Thank you all.