Re: Anthurium splendidum

  • To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
  • Subject: Re: Anthurium splendidum
  • From: Neil Carroll <zzamia@hargray.com>
  • Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2000 21:28:45 -0600 (CST)

----- Original Message -----
From: Jay Vannini <interbnk@infovia.com.gt>
To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
Sent: Thursday, March 30, 2000 4:12 PM
Subject: Anthurium splendidum

> Question to those "in the know" - I have been experimenting with different
> temperature regimens and mediums for a couple of Anthurium splendidum (sl)
> that I have for two years now, and still haven't obtained any joy from
> little buggers. Checked locality data for collections on the Tropicos
> database last week and noted that they have been collected at low
> in the Choco. This suggests hot, extremely wet culture - something I
> tried yet. Also saw that Selby's are doing well under "warm" conditions.
> suggestions, folks?

These plants require very humid conditions. The phrase "extremely wet
culture" may be misleading....these are not aquatic plants. The trick is
keeping as high humidity as possible without rotting the plant. Fog not mist
would be very helpful. A 'fog chamber' on a smaller scale would be helpful.
These plants should be treated like epiphytes as to their potting mix and
container. A slated basket with an extremly fast draining mix should be a
start. It is still not likely that this plant will do well without constant
high ( 80% +) humidity.

This is not the plant of Exotica or the front cover a a long ago Aroideana.