Re: A. titanum leaf curl

I have grown A. titanum outside in very dry, dusty conditions, in South
Florida, since 1980.  An Australian botanist friend of mine, had two growing
outside in her nursery on St. Croix.  The summers there can sometimes
consist of a 6 months drought period.  The plants I grew in Florida, without
the benefit of good soil, supplemental water, of fertilizer, only reached
about three feet in height before they bloomed. The two that bloomed had
blooms about the size of dinner plates.  When I dug up the plant in St.
Croix, it too was about three feet in,height.  The ground was very dusty and
,in spite of no visible roots, the plants were very beautiful.

I did not bother taking my Florida plants with me, when I moved to St.
Croix, because they were so easy to grow that there was no challenge. The
plant from St. Croix is now about nine feet in height and growing in a pot
of good soil in my living room.  At this time it has begun going dormant.