Re: Anthurium splendidum

  • To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
  • Subject: Re: Anthurium splendidum
  • From: Neil Carroll <zzamia@hargray.com>
  • Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2000 22:07:38 -0600 (CST)

> Jay,
>
> The plant you are calling Anthurium splendidum is now called A. luxurians,
> believe. Betsy mentioned in her message about two different species called
A.
> splendidum. The ones you saw at Selby are now correctly called A.
luxurians
> (these have very dark glossy bullate leaves and are extremely hard to grow
> without very high humidity and warm conditions year round). The species
now
> correctly called A. splendidum was once mistakenly called A.
corrugatum...but
> I may be wrong about this point. Mixed up with this is the true Anthurium
> corrugatum and the plant once called A. corrugatum but now called A.
> splendidum. Are we are totally confused yet???

Donna, Who is the author of A. luxurians and when was it described. I am
familiar with Cirino's true splendidum. A. corrugatum Sodiro is a very high
altitude plant with fairly long internodes. These long internodes easily
seperate A. luxurians and A. splendidum from A. corrigatum.

The plant shown in Exotica and in one of the past Aroideanas which is
labeled A. corrigatum are not A. corrigatum. I do not know of a published
photo of the true A. corrigatum.

Neil