[aroid-l] Strange behavior

  • Subject: [aroid-l] Strange behavior
  • From: "Craig Allen" callen@fairchildgarden.org
  • Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2003 19:27:26 -0500

I have an Anthurium sp. FG 982319 collected in Peru that I cut off the top of the plant for epiphytic planting in trees. I have been waiting for more side offshoots from the healthy but topless original plant, which I an getting.
I have also noticed strange behavior at the root tips of the original plant. At every single healthy green root tip there is a tiny plant or several developing. There may be 40 - 50 root tips developing plantlets. I have had the plant for a number of years and there has never been a single plant develop in that way before... nor on any other anthurium species. Has anyone ever seen anything like that before?

Craig M. Allen
Conservatory Manager
Fairchild Tropical Garden
10901 Old Cutler Road