[aroid-l] IAS Members Update

  • Subject: [aroid-l] IAS Members Update
  • From: <amh@ieee.org>
  • Date: Wed, 03 Mar 2004 08:25:58 -0800

Hi there folks,

Albert Huntington, here. President of the International Aroid Society.

Those of you who are not members, or those of you who are wondering what the society does, please get over to http://www.aroid.org/ and educate/sign yourselves up.

In an attempt to improve communication with the membership, I intend to write periodic updates such as this one with information for members of the IAS regarding the status of various projects, the publications and available membership services.

** The "March" newsletter ( 26-1 ) is in the final stages of layout and editing, and is scheduled to be mailed out about the 3rd week of March. It's looking like it will include a summary of a trip to Ecuador from Tom Croat at MOBOT among many other interesting pieces.

** We have heard from a few members who are missing Aroideana or an issue of the newsletter. If you are missing anything, or have not heard from the society after applying for membership, PLEASE let us know and we'll get your situation fixed. You can communicate directly with Paul Resslar <presslar@vwc.edu>, who is our very capable membership chair, or myself. I can be reached at amh@ieee.org .

** Save the date! The IAS show and sale is scheduled for Miami on September 18th and 19th this year. It's a fabulous place to meet aroid people from all over the world. We are currently in the planning stages - if you have ideas, if you would like to see something changed from previous years, if you would be able to volunteer your time, NOW is the time to act.

** There is a membership directory database available in the member's area of www.aroid.org . Some members have requested a printed directory be published as well, and we still have copies available. If you would like a copy, please let me know by e-mail and I will send one your way.

** Both Aroideana and the newsletter are always looking for interesting articles and ideas - why not get yours published? Despite publishing a lot of technical articles, Aroideana has a place for collecting trips and cultural techniques as well - and Derek Burch <derek@horticulturist.com> is ready to assist anyone wishing to write about those subjects.

** Want to volunteer some time to the IAS? Have ideas about what the IAS should be doing? Interested in joining the board next year? Send me an e-mail, and I'll try to get you taken care of.

Please remember - replying to this message directly will get it sent back to Aroid-L, not to me or the board member of your choice.

--Albert