Re: [Aroid-l] P. adamantinum, P. saxicolum.

  • Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] P. adamantinum, P. saxicolum.
  • From: Eric Schmidt leu242@yahoo.com
  • Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2005 05:39:49 -0800 (PST)

One that we are growing is Philodendron corcovadense.
I believe it is native to southern Brazil. I had seen
this growing in a yard of a house near Leu Gardens for
20 years. It is a self-header that grows 2-3ft tall
and survived the 20F freeze in 12/89. Some stems froze
back, some were only defoliated. It is like a small
version of P. bipinnatifidum but with entire leaves.
It even has that odor that P. bipinnatifidum has when
a leaf is cut or broke off. I drove by that house one
day and it was being renovated. The Philos were in a
pile in the driveway. I stopped and asked if I could
have them and they said yes. I "rescued" them and
planted them out at Leu Gardens. I have never seen
them for sale, hopefully they can get into tissue
culture. Here is a link to a photo;

Eric Schmidt
Botanic Records
Harry P. Leu Gardens