Re: [Aroid-l] P. adamantinum, P. saxicolum.

  • Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] P. adamantinum, P. saxicolum.
  • From: Tom philofan@philodendron.org
  • Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2005 19:21:04 -0800

Sounds like a great plant find and story, Eric. Like that old saying, "One man's garbage, another man's treasure" couldn't be more true.

Here is another link with a photo and description of it: http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/59574/index.html

Monocromatico (the poster) describes it as: "This is a native plant from the southeastern brazilian coastal areas, specially around Rio de Janeiro. The specimen used to describe the species came from the Corcovado hill, where the statue of Jesus Christ is erected, so thatīs why the specific name "corcovadensis", meaning "from Corcovado".

The shiny bright green leaves stick out in my mind for this plant. Are there any current commercial sources for it?

-Tom Vincze

One that we are growing is Philodendron corcovadense.
I believe it is native to southern Brazil. I had seen
this growing in a yard of a house near Leu Gardens for
20 years. It is a self-header that grows 2-3ft tall
and survived the 20F freeze in 12/89. Some stems froze
back, some were only defoliated. It is like a small
version of P. bipinnatifidum but with entire leaves.
It even has that odor that P. bipinnatifidum has when
a leaf is cut or broke off. I drove by that house one
day and it was being renovated. The Philos were in a
pile in the driveway. I stopped and asked if I could
have them and they said yes. I "rescued" them and
planted them out at Leu Gardens. I have never seen
them for sale, hopefully they can get into tissue
culture. Here is a link to a photo;

Eric Schmidt
Botanic Records
Harry P. Leu Gardens
1920 N. Forest Ave.
Orlando, FL. 32803 USA
USDA Zone 9b
ph. # (407)-246-3749
fax # (407)-246-2849

--- Julius Boos <ju-bo@msn.com> wrote:

Dear Friends,

Well, after a miserable failure to obtain these and
other 'smaller'
self-heading species of Philodendron by ordering
seed from the S. American
source ( as far as I can determine, most if not all
of the seeds sold as
being these species have grown to be P. 'selloum'),
I am putting out a call
to all you members, lurkers, Botanical garden
growers, etc. in an attampt to
locate specimens of these and any other
'minature'/smaller species or vars.
of the arborescent / "self heading" Philodendrons.
I have seen P.
saxicolum 'in the flesh', also the TRUE minature P.
selloum, and so am very
interested in seeing a P. adamantinum, if there is
any garden or individual
out there with specimens of this or the other
species mentioned, or one that
I do not already know about, please contact me on my
e-mail at ---

Thanks, and good growing!

Julius Boos,

Aroid-l mailing list