Re: [Aroid-l] P. adamantinum, P. saxicolum.

  • Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] P. adamantinum, P. saxicolum.
  • From: "Julius Boos" ju-bo@msn.com
  • Date: Sun, 06 Mar 2005 15:55:55 +0000

>From: Tom <philofan@philodendron.org>
>To: Discussion of aroids <aroid-l@gizmoworks.com>
>Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] P. adamantinum, P. saxicolum.
>Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2005 19:21:04 -0800

Dear Tom, Eric and Friends,

Eric`s story reminds me of another story a friend in Miami tells, of her finding, years ago, of what she refers to as 'minature P. speciosum'. It used to grow in great quantity as a hedge in front of an old, Cuban-type home in Miami, she was able to obtain a few plants of it whenever the home-owner trimmed the hedge. Recently, as she became more aware of its rarity, she went back to look for more, the home was gone, the hedge no more. VERY sad!
I have sent another post w/ a couple of questions concerning these smaller 'self-headers', hopefully it will soon be posted on the aroid-l.
Good Growing,

Julius

Sounds like a great plant find and story, Eric. Like that old
>saying, "One man's garbage, another man's treasure" couldn't be
more true.
Here is another link with a photo and description of it:
http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/59574/index.html
Monocromatico (the poster) describes it as: This is a native plant
from the southeastern brazilian coastal areas, specially around Rio
de Janeiro. The specimen used to describe the species came from the
Corcovado hill, where the statue of Jesus Christ is erected, so
thatīs why the specific name "corcovadensis", meaning from
Corcovado".
The shiny bright green leaves stick out in my mind for this plant.
>Are there any current commercial sources for it?
-Tom Vincze<<

&gt;
&gt;&gt;
&gt;&gt;One that we are growing is Philodendron corcovadense.
&gt;&gt;I believe it is native to southern Brazil. I had seen
&gt;&gt;this growing in a yard of a house near Leu Gardens for
&gt;&gt;20 years. It is a self-header that grows 2-3ft tall
&gt;&gt;and survived the 20F freeze in 12/89. Some stems froze
&gt;&gt;back, some were only defoliated. It is like a small
&gt;&gt;version of P. bipinnatifidum but with entire leaves.
&gt;&gt;It even has that odor that P. bipinnatifidum has when
&gt;&gt;a leaf is cut or broke off. I drove by that house one
&gt;&gt;day and it was being renovated. The Philos were in a
&gt;&gt;pile in the driveway. I stopped and asked if I could
&gt;&gt;have them and they said yes. I &quot;rescued&quot; them and
&gt;&gt;planted them out at Leu Gardens. I have never seen
&gt;&gt;them for sale, hopefully they can get into tissue
&gt;&gt;culture. Here is a link to a photo;
&gt;&gt;
&gt;&gt;http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/leuaroid/
&gt;&gt;detail?.dir=a3ee&amp;.dnm=a3f1.jpg&amp;.src=ph
&gt;&gt;
&gt;&gt;
&gt;&gt;Eric Schmidt
&gt;&gt;Botanic Records
&gt;&gt;Harry P. Leu Gardens
&gt;&gt;1920 N. Forest Ave.
&gt;&gt;Orlando, FL. 32803 USA
&gt;&gt;USDA Zone 9b
&gt;&gt;eric.schmidt@cityoforlando.net
&gt;&gt;ph. # (407)-246-3749
&gt;&gt;fax # (407)-246-2849
&gt;&gt;www.leugardens.org
&gt;&gt;
&gt;&gt;
&gt;&gt;
&gt;&gt;
&gt;&gt;
&gt;&gt;--- Julius Boos &lt;ju-bo@msn.com&gt; wrote:
&gt;&gt;
&gt;&gt;&gt;Dear Friends,
&gt;&gt;&gt;
&gt;&gt;&gt;Well, after a miserable failure to obtain these and
&gt;&gt;&gt;other 'smaller'
&gt;&gt;&gt;self-heading species of Philodendron by ordering
&gt;&gt;&gt;seed from the S. American
&gt;&gt;&gt;source ( as far as I can determine, most if not all
&gt;&gt;&gt;of the seeds sold as
&gt;&gt;&gt;being these species have grown to be P. 'selloum'),
&gt;&gt;&gt;I am putting out a call
&gt;&gt;&gt;to all you members, lurkers, Botanical garden
&gt;&gt;&gt;growers, etc. in an attampt to
&gt;&gt;&gt;locate specimens of these and any other
&gt;&gt;&gt;'minature'/smaller species or vars.
&gt;&gt;&gt;of the arborescent / &quot;self heading&quot; Philodendrons.
&gt;&gt;&gt;I have seen P.
&gt;&gt;&gt;saxicolum 'in the flesh', also the TRUE minature P.
&gt;&gt;&gt;selloum, and so am very
&gt;&gt;&gt;interested in seeing a P. adamantinum, if there is
&gt;&gt;&gt;any garden or individual
&gt;&gt;&gt;out there with specimens of this or the other
&gt;&gt;&gt;species mentioned, or one that
&gt;&gt;&gt;I do not already know about, please contact me on my
&gt;&gt;&gt;e-mail at ---
&gt;&gt;&gt;
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;ju-bo@msn.com&lt;
&gt;&gt;&gt;
&gt;&gt;&gt;Thanks, and good growing!
&gt;&gt;&gt;
&gt;&gt;&gt;Julius Boos,
&gt;&gt;&gt;WPB,
&gt;&gt;&gt;Florida.
&gt;&gt;&gt;
&gt;&gt;&gt;
&gt;&gt;&gt;_______________________________________________
&gt;&gt;&gt;Aroid-l mailing list
&gt;&gt;&gt;Aroid-l@gizmoworks.com
&gt;&gt;&gt;
&gt;&gt;
&gt;&gt;
&gt;&gt;
&gt;&gt;
&gt;&gt;
&gt;&gt;
&gt;&gt;
&gt;&gt;
&gt;&gt;__________________________________
&gt;&gt;Celebrate Yahoo!'s 10th Birthday!
&gt;&gt;Yahoo! Netrospective: 100 Moments of the Web
&gt;&gt;http://birthday.yahoo.com/netrospective/
&gt;&gt;Aroid-l mailing list
&gt;&gt;Aroid-l@gizmoworks.com
&gt;&gt;