RE: [Aroid-l] Taccarum offsets

  • Subject: RE: [Aroid-l] Taccarum offsets
  • From: "Deni Bown" deni@yaxhampark.co.uk
  • Date: Sat, 5 Mar 2005 11:11:17 -0000

Dear Michael,

Taccarum offsets very freely for me.  I grow it in pots in a large
conservatory which is part of our living space so at comfortable temperature
but relatively low humidity all year round and very warm when the sun
shines, even in winter. It can be tricky to dry off as the leaves collapse
quite suddenly as the growing season comes to an end, and if the compost is
too damp at that point, the tubers rot easily.  When the plants have died
down, I keep the tubers in the pot undisturbed and dry until mid-late Feb,
and at room temp - above 16C - when I repot them as they are just starting
to sprout. I treat Synadrospadix the same but it doesn't offset for me.

It's interesting to hear that your plants do well without a pronounced dry
season.  I imagined Taccarum would need one.  Do yours flower?

Deni Bown