RE: [Aroid-l] Taccarum offsets

  • Subject: RE: [Aroid-l] Taccarum offsets
  • From: "Julius Boos" ju-bo@msn.com
  • Date: Sun, 06 Mar 2005 02:30:02 +0000

>From: "Deni Bown" <deni@yaxhampark.co.uk>
>To: "'Discussion of aroids'" <aroid-l@gizmoworks.com>
>Subject: RE: [Aroid-l] Taccarum offsets
>Date: Sat, 5 Mar 2005 11:11:17 -0000

Dear Friends, (Hi Denni!!)

My friend Bobby grows THE best Taccarums I have ever seen, he just has the majic touch with these plants. His plants bloom every spring, and with hand-pollination produce a LOT of fruit/seeds. His large plants have petioles w/ a wonderful color, nicely thick, colorful and stout. His do produce a few off-sets, but not as many as one would expect. A while ago I wrote a tome about the corms/tubers of this genus. When one of his would get to a really large size, we`d hope that the next year would really be a record year w/ a super-large plant, but the tuber would always divide itself along the mid-line vertically, producing two large tubers w/ a flat side on each! During the dormancy period, these half-tubers would change shape and color, by the end of their dormancy they would be much more rounded, and if exposed to light would be a wonderful jade-green color, like a raw gem stone, truly a dinamic tuber, even when one thought it 'dormant'.
Good growing,

Julius>>Dear Michael,
Taccarum offsets very freely for me. I grow it in pots in a large