Re: [Aroid-l] Amorphophallus titanum seedling query

  • Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] Amorphophallus titanum seedling query
  • From: plantguy@zoominternet.net
  • Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2006 19:37:00 -0500

I've only got 13 of them, but they all sent up extra petioles. Some were very fast about it, some are just now putting up a second petiole after 18 months, but I'm sure my conditions are far from optimal!!

I also have absolutely no qualms about bare-rooting them when they are this small (up to around 3 feet tall) and re-potting to give them room when they put up an extra tall petiole. If you are a bonsai grower at heart then bare-rooting these to repot is trivial and you should have no problems at all doing it. I remove all the soil to check the roots and tuber before putting them in a bigger pot with fresh soil. Better to repot than have it be 3 feet tall in a 6 inch diameter pot that is 4 inches deep and then falling over (that would be my problem).

Sounds like your are doing well, and hopefully mine will continue to behave themselves.

zone 6a
Pittsburgh, PA

----- Original Message ----- From: <StroWi@t-online.de>