[Aroid-l] Amorphophallus container size

  • Subject: [Aroid-l] Amorphophallus container size
  • From: "Wayne Mrazek" wmrazek@argotech.net
  • Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2006 06:36:59 -0800

I am new to the list.  I grew A species in the 80's for about 10 years, and
am now just returning to the culture of this genus.  It is amazing what the
Internet has done to the availablilty of both info and plants over the last
few years!   It used to be very difficult to find another grower, and that
was the only way to get new species other than konjac.  Like others, I have
found that buying Amorphophallus on Ebay can become addicting.

I have seen several comments that Amorphophallus can be grown in small pots.
Although possible, I believe growth is much better when they are over
potted.  I like to put a 4 inch corm in a 15-20 gallon pot if available.
Even then, some plants will form a new corm right on the bottom of the pot.
Do the experts on the list have an opinion about this?  (I realize that a
large pot becomes a liability when the plant goes dormant)

Wayne Mrazek
Yorba Linda, CA