Re: "Elephant Ear"??? Man, I hate that term!

  • Subject: Re: "Elephant Ear"??? Man, I hate that term!
  • From: RAYMOMATTLA@cs.com
  • Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2008 19:34:55 EDT

Your right Susan but the local Walmarts and Home Depots, (around South Carolina) have both "regular" MAMMOTH elephant ears....as they call them,  which have an image of C. esculenta,  and the "Upright" kind, (A. odora).  Given that both species are pretty common in gardens around here I'd say it could be either but to tell you the truth I havent even picked up one of the tubers for comparison so I couldnt guarantee it.
I guess what people call "Elephant Ears" can be regional too,  although most people wouldnt know the difference between Colocasia esculenta,  Remusatia vivapara, Alocasia mac., or any of the others.

Michael Mattlage
Aroid-L mailing list