Re: "Elephant Ear"??? Man, I hate that term!

  • Subject: Re: "Elephant Ear"??? Man, I hate that term!
  • From: "Tom Croat" <Thomas.Croat@mobot.org>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 12:07:38 -0500

Dear Steve:

            I quickly read through your page on Colocasia esculenta and found it very useful and thoughtful.  Certainly those elements that you have there represent what falls in the parameters of C. esculenta but I am no expert on this Asian genus.  I have never seen the very large plants grown by Brian Williams.  They would appear to be twice as large as any plant I have seen anywhere in cultivation.  Perhaps he is correct that it represents a tetraploid form.  At least one of the two smaller forms are what has been called Colocasia esculenta var. antiquorum.  Check the pictures in Exotica.