Sauromatum research request

   Greetings, my name is Doug Ewing, and I manage the Botany Greenhouse
at the University of Washington. I have been a long-time lurker on this
network, as I have both personal and professional interests in the
Araceae. One research project that this facility has been involved in is
the study of the biochemistry of flowering and thermogenesis in
Sauromatum. This work was begun over 40 years ago by Dr.Bastiaan Meeuse.
He is now professor emeritus (80+ yrs. old and still nuts about aroids),
and his work is being continued by Dr.Hanna Skubatz. For the past 14
years, I have grown hundreds of Sauromatum each year to provide them both
with research material throughout the year.
   Here is my problem: this year we are experiencing difficulties in
producing normal inflorescences. The plants grew normally in the vegetative
stage, tuber were large and healthy-looking, but when they flower, the
spadix is deformed, or missing entirely. I was suspicious at first that I
might have a micronutrient imbalance that was affecting flower
development. Now we are also exploring the possibility that the cool room
where the researchers store the tubers to stagger flowering may have some
contaminant ( ethylene?) . Anyway, as I work to solve this puzzle, we have
a pressing need for dormant Sauromatum tubers of flowering size to utilize
in this research. If any of you would consider helping us out, please
contact me directly at: dewing@u.washington.edu   . We would be able to
reimburse for shipping costs. Thank you,  Doug

Doug Ewing, Greenhouse Manager (206) 543-0436
Department of Botany
University of Washington
Box 355325
Seattle, WA   98195-5325