Re: Alvim Seidel Philodendron seeds - questions

At 07:54 PM 3/16/97 -0600, Eduardo Gomes Goncalves wrote:
>On Fri, 14 Mar 1997, Hermine Stover wrote:
>
>>When I got my order from Seidel in the mid 70's (complete with scorpion)
>
>- Wasn't it a spider? Things evolve fast there!!!
>The problem is that, here in Brazil, we don't like to export only
>plants... we export the whole ecosystem!!! (Ok, I'm just kidding...)
>
>> the Sansevierias included were in no way resembling what they were
>> labelled. and they weren't even that rare. I still think such an order as
>> this is good, from the standpoint of pure serendipity.
>
>Dear Hermine,
>
>I suppose that Brazil isn't the best place to find rare Sansevierias,
>because they are from Africa and some parts of Asia. But if you want to
>find out rare Philos, we have lots of them, and it is quite possible to
>discover a new species almost everywhere. I described a new species (it
>will be on Kew Bulletin until september) that is practically endemic to
>an area that is just 2 miles far from my house! If it is possible to meet
>rare Philos here in Brasilia, where the aroid biodiversity is
>comparatively low, wonder what Mr. Seidel can get, living along the
>forests of Southeastern Brazil (one of the main diversity center of such
>genus in our country). I agree with you that he should sell his plants
>correctly labelled because he must act professionally. Although,
>in this case there is a risk of getting a very rare plant paying for
>just a common plant, and it isn't too bad. It is only my opinion and I'm not
>endorsing nothing from such nursery.
>
>Sincerely,
>
>Eduardo.

No argument from me on that. I gladly would take randomly gathered seed
from a new place, esp. one I shall not bie visiting in forseeable future.
It was a scorpion, and my only fear was that it could nil a cat or dog in
my house. I rather enjoyed it, having no personal fear of them. The
interesting thing about the Sansevieria mislabeling is that it is the same
as in Exotica and has been there since forever, is there today!

hermine