Titan Watch 5/13/2001

Titan Watch 5/13/2001: At 9 AM the Titan had reached 78" or 6' 6" tall. By 6
P.M. it had measured 79". This morning the Miami Herald sent a reporter to
do an extensive interview and a really great photographer, Annie Etheridge,
to take pictures. She took tons, with me, without me, with visitors, on a
ladder, she was really into it. She really hadn't expected the Titan to be
so impressive. I hope I get to see some of the pictures. The article should
be in tomorrows paper (I hope).

I was gone from the Garden during the afternoon, and when I got back at 5PM
I could see the first major difference in several days. The spathe is
beginning to loosen up in earnest. The red color on the reverse hasn't
reached full color yet, so it isn't quite ready to open. It does appear that
the spathe is swelling a bit in the middle, producing tension in the ribs so
that it can open relatively quickly when the time is right.

Suzanne and I have worked some of the problems out of the web cam we
installed, but we are going to try a new camera this evening to see if it
will be clearer. It will be moved a little closer to the plant. There should
be a link from the 2001 Titan blooming page, but just in case, here is the
address to view the page.

Happy Titan watching.

Craig M. Allen
Conservatory Manager
Fairchild Tropical Garden
10901 Old Cutler Road
Coral Gables(Miami), Florida, USA  33156-4296
Tel. 305-667-1651 ext. 3320
Fax 305-661-8953
e-mail callen@fairchildgarden.org
web: www.fairchildgarden.org