"Aroideana" vs. Newsletter vs. Aroidl

  • Subject: "Aroideana" vs. Newsletter vs. Aroidl
  • From: Betsy Feuerstein <ecuador@midsouth.rr.com>
  • Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 09:40:52 -0500 (CDT)

This is a message David Leedy has tried to post on Aroid l and has not succeeded. I could not get it to go as an attachment so here goes retyped. Just remember, it is from David.

"Aroidaena" vs. Newsletter vs. Aroidl

A little history may be in order. "Aroideana" was a quarterly publication, which was usually late. Sometimes it was several years late. So it was determined to consolidate it into an annual publication.

The newsletter was a means to communicate with members of the IAS in the United States. It was primarily devoted to the comings and goings in  Miami, but it did contain some good "how to's." As with any volunteer organization, the newsletter fell on hard times because no one had the time to put it together. In the 1980's, before Aroidl, I thought it was important for members who did not llive within driving distance of miami (for the monthly meetings) to have a regular form of communication. So I took over the editorshp.

The newsletter I put out had little original material, but included a lot of "how to's." I plagiarized and copied everything I could get hold of including the Newsletter written by David Burnett for the Australian Aroid Society. I remember a great article he wrote (or copied) regarding the various types of fungus, which could cause rot in aroid tuers and how to fight these. I generally included an article or two(copied or plagiarized), correspondence, a list of recent aroid publications and how to obtain them, horticultural events at teh variouis botanical gardens in the United States, which might be of interest to IAS members, and reviews of aroid publications or events, which were not to be covered in "Aroideana" (e.g. the anthurium hybridization programs at the University of Hawaii or the A. titanium meristem experiments at the Palmgarten in Frankfurt).

An important factor in the 1980's ws member's dues. This, along with the plant sale at teh annual meeting, was the primary financing used for the publication of "Aroideana." The newsletter was a means of soliciting new members ("Give an IAS Membership for Your Mom for Mother's Day") as well as keeping old members, who felt that receipt of "Aroideana," sometimes two years late, was not really worth the amount of the dues. Maybe this is no longer true.

I have forgotten what happened next, but when Su Thompson took over editorship of the newsletter it really stepped up in class. She included much more material regarding recent publications and current events of interest to aroid folx. Neal Caroll's newsletter was also great. However, if there is to be a newsletter, I think punctuality is at least as important as content (this is not necessarily teh credo of "Aroideana")

Perhaps Aroidl has taken over the need for communications with IAS members, but I an not so sure. Not everyone is comfortable with a computer or wants to spend a lot of time looking at the CRT. "Aroideana" has now become an annual journal. for those who don't participate in Aroidl or live within the Miami area, the newsletter was teh only regular contact with fellow aroid enthusiasts in the United States. aroidl is generally a question/comment and then a response type of thing versus a page or tow on how to do something relative to aroids. The newsletter was a place to get ideas and compare notes, but it need not be original material, which couldh have a place in " Aroideana." Also, articles in the newsletter can and very basic (like plastic containers versus clay containers or use of screen wire to cover teh holes in pots), which may be beneath "Aroideana."

I understand Messrs. Boyce or Hetterscheid pleas for original material for "Aroideana," but there is a lot of other material, some not so original; material which has a time element that will not be met by an annual publication, even if it is timely published; and origianl material, which will not be published in "Aroideana." Should this material be presented in a regularly published newsletter? I don't know. I don't believe either of these gentlemen is qualified to make such a judgement for teh layman collector and the IAS officers will hae to make the judgement as to the benefit to the organization.

David Leedy

PS: typing errors are my responsibility/Betsy