Re: Various Minimum Temperatures

  • Subject: Re: Various Minimum Temperatures
  • From: "James W, Waddick" <jim-jim@swbell.net>
  • Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 21:00:00 -0500 (CDT)

> noticed that one person in Zone
> > 5 mentioned that Typhonium giganteum was hardy there (I assume dormant in
> > winter?) so there are obviously some varieties that take the cold.
>It is extremely cold hardy, as is Typhonium  roxburghii (formerly T.
>Alan Galloway

Dear all;
	I have grown T. gigantea in Zone 5 for years, but have found
T divericatum/roxburghii marginal to tender; certainly not hardy. I
grow T. divericatum as a 'ground cover' in a very large potted Crinum
asiaticum. The pot is in full sun and setting in a deep saucer of
water in summer and MUCH dried in a sunny window in winter. Grows
like a weed. Blooms off and on all summer.

		Jim W.

Dr. James W. Waddick
8871 NW Brostrom Rd.
Kansas City Missouri 64152-2711