[aroid-l] amorphophallus konjac

  • Subject: [aroid-l] amorphophallus konjac
  • From: SongString@aol.com
  • Date: Sun, 4 May 2003 14:42:45 EDT

I dig my amorphophallus Konjac up after it gets wilted from frost and put it
in the basement and forget about it. It always lets me know in the spring,
when I happen to find it growing in the basement and think, Oh yeh, I better
plant you.  I just put it in a plastic grocery bag in the basement last fall
with no dirt. IT just sat on the floor all winter. I forgot about it.  I was
looking for something in the basement on Palm Sunday, I think, and the plant
had put out it's shoot or whatever it is called. IT was already over a foot
tall. I brought it upstairs and had it on the floor of the living room about
a week before I planted it outdoors. It grew about 6 feet in one week, in no
dirt.  Then instead of it's usual leaves, it had started to bloom. I didn't
even know it could bloom and wondered what kind of monster it had turned
into.  I didn't even know what plant it was, when I got it at a garage sale a
few years ago.  So, I just had to find out what it was and did some research
on the web and finally figured out what it was.

I called our local garden store and asked how to contact the garden club and
they refered me to the former president of the national mens' garden club.
He came over right away and said it was a real Voodoo plant, or A. konjac.
He said, when it starts to stink I would know it and it could be smelled for
two blocks. Is that true? It has been cool all week, so it has remained
unstinky, even though the bloom is getting bigger. IT is over 6 foot tall and
had a twin during the winter.  The tuber divided in half, just like cells
divide in half.  IT sure is a curiousity! I live in Ohio.