RE: [Aroid-l] Anth. pallidiflorum pollination

  • Subject: RE: [Aroid-l] Anth. pallidiflorum pollination
  • From: "Julius Boos" <ju-bo@msn.com>
  • Date: Sat, 05 May 2007 12:56:24 +0000

From : 	<mikekerlin@netscape.net>
Sent : 	Friday, May 4, 2007 3:53 PM
To : 	aroid-l@gizmoworks.com
Subject : 	[Aroid-l] Anthurium pallidiflorum

Dear Mike,

First off, I am NOT an expert on Anthurium, so I can only make suggestions on what I would try with your plant.

Congrats of providing the conditions that were necessary to 'convince' the plant to bloom! What I would try (maybe the next time/season if it has finished blooming this season) is collect pollen from the first bloom to open, BUT---once the spathe begins to open, I`d also check on the female stigmas of this FIRST bloom EVERY day using a hand-held lense, and observe and make notes, you SHOULD be able to see when the stigmas are most mature OR may be producing even TINY drops of liquid. If it is a species that perhaps does NOT produce liquid, at the very least the tips of the stigmas SHOULD give you some indication of their 'readiness' to be pollinated on a certain day, nice shiny , maybe flattened or rounded tip, etc. Another sure sign of when they were ready would be that soon after this readiness has passed (the next day or so??) the tips will appear dry and begin to dry off and/or go brown. TAKE NOTE of what day the female anthesis occurs! OK!!!!-------so now you have HOPEFULLY determined ON THIS FIRST BLOOM the time when the female flowers are at anthesis/receptive! (you did not give the aprox: time between the possible female anthesis and the production of pollen) Then wait and collect all the pollen you can from this first bloom into a test tube, and store it in the fridge until the second bloom is at the 'female recptive' period, and then apply the pollen with a moist camel hair brush!. Continue this with any other blooms that may be produced! A friend who has great sucess in pollinating the genus Philodendron tells me that he adds a little water to the pollen, and the resulting 'soup' is easier to apply, you might try this. I just looked up an article in Aroideana Vol. 26 of 2003 where, an excellent article on the use of stored pollen (M. Kiehlmann, D. Kiehlmann--"Propagation of Some Aroids by Hand Pollination with Stored Pollen", pgs. 56-65. I would recomend that when you try storing collected pollen either in the fridge (for a shorter period of time) or in the freezer (for an extended period of time), you place a small packet of silica gel (a drying agent) pinched between the test tube stopper at the top of the test tube away from direct contact with the pollen to keep the collected pollen as dry as possible during storage, you can then re-hydrate the pollen when you are ready to apply it. Another suggestion would to be to wrap the entire now-pollinated infloresence/bloom LOOSELY in plastic wrap (OUT OF DIRECT SUN!!!) or place a plastic bag over the bloom for a couple of days, then afterward remove the plastic, this would/might replicate the high humidity in the wild, and promote the development/germination of the pollen.
I hope this helps.

Julius
WPB,  FLORIDA

I have an Anthurium pallidiflorum which had never bloomed since I got it. I shocked it this winter by placing it in a very cold window- too cold really- but it produced 4 inflorescences in the following 2 months. BUT the female flowers never produced any droplets along the spadices, although the inflorescences did produce scent and turn yellow, while producing lots of pollen. As a result, I got no berries. Does anyone know why the plant wouldn't produce the droplets, (like maybe I let it warm up too much when the blooms were active) or if this is what is supposed to happen with this species? Or is it an obligate out-crosser or something?
Thanks,
Mike Kerlin<<