Re: [Aroid-l] Anthurium pallidiflorum

  • Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] Anthurium pallidiflorum
  • From: "ExoticRainforest" <Steve@ExoticRainforest.com>
  • Date: Sat, 5 May 2007 08:03:04 -0500

Mike,

I certainly would not consider myself an expert in the field of blooming anthurium.  But of late I've had a good deal of experience watching them closely.  With the aid of Dr. Croat, Julius Boos, Lariann Garner and several others we were able to track the daily growth of a spathe and spadix of Anthurium regale for well over two months.   What you described seems exactly correct to me.   It would be my guess that the female flowers developed prior to the male sexual parts of the spadix.  In some anthurium this happens far enough apart to prevent self pollination.  If that is so you would not have been able to get pollination even if you deliberately spread the pollen yourself.  In the case of our large Anthurium regale we have now collected pollen and stored it in the freezer for the time when the next spathe is formed on either of our two specimens.  I believe the cooler temps were likely what caused the plant to produce the spathe which is exactly what happened with our A. regale.  All of my notes and photographs, along with extensive comments from Dr. Croat and the others named are here:

There are about 5 pages of notes and photos so this will take a little time to go completely through.  If you take the time to read through them you may be able to learn, just as I did, how to hopefully pollinate the plant the next time around.

Good luck with the effort!  And next time, photograph it all the way through!

Steve Lucas