Re: Epiphyllums/Off topic

  • Subject: Re: Epiphyllums/Off topic
  • From: "Tom Croat" <Thomas.Croat@mobot.org>
  • Date: Mon, 5 May 2008 15:21:50 -0500

Dear Steve:

            The term “rain forest” is not a standard or formal designation.  In the Holdridge Life Zone System which I use the term “rain forest” is used in a variety of designations.  A standard range of wetness would range from Tropical dry forest to Premontane dry forest to Tropical moist forest, Premontane wet forest, Tropical wet forest, Tropical rain forest, Premontane rain forest, Lower montane rainforest, Montane rain forest.  The effective degree of wetness is the critical feature and may be owing to a lot of rain or a cooler temperature and thus a reduced amount of transevaporation so that a single life zone could range form sea level to 2000 m depending on the amount of precipitation.  Pluvial lowland forest is the wettest, hottest and is rather restricted, known only from NW S. America in Colombia where it may rain 36 feet a year.

Tom