Re: Is there any species of Aroid which can have a difference phenology at the same species ?

  • Subject: Re: Is there any species of Aroid which can have a difference phenology at the same species ?
  • From: Hannon <othonna@gmail.com>
  • Date: Sat, 7 May 2011 07:10:24 -0700

Adhitia Pratama:

Species of Anthurium in cultivation tend to flower prolifically from a young age but with no fruit development in the early years. When the plants are larger, especially when they are not constrained by a container and have free root run to develop mass and take up more nutrients, fruit set occurs on most of the inflorescences. It is usually a heavy, fertile fruiting and not a weak or 'incidental' effort of only a few fruits.

I have always assumed this phenological shift had more to do with biomass and nutrient uptake, but how it works exactly I don't know.  Maybe the pistils remain receptive longer, extending into the anther dehiscence stage? I have observed this phenomenon over a wide range of species and sections in Anthurium.

Regards,

Dylan Hannon