Dracunculus vulcaris jello

I obtained a Dracunculus vulgaris and was quite enthused about it's
appearance.  Already 36" high with a fat tuber, it seemed that it would
become easily established and would even flower next year.

Today, the stalk had fallen over and where it attached to the tuber appears
to have rotted; the area had a sour smell and felt mushy.  The rest of the
tuber was quite solid and roots were still white.

I buried it in the ground again.  My question is:  is there any chance it
will come back?  Is there anything I could have done to prevent this short
of preventing the monsoons that have plagued Long Island for the past two