Re: Anthurium

At 01:10 PM 5/9/99 -0500, you wrote:
>Hi everyone.
>My name is Robert Arias  rharias@juno.com
>This is my first e-mail to aroid-l.
>Some of you already know me as the editor of the Aroid Club of Tampa
>Bay's newsletter, "The Spathifile".
>I've been trying to put together a list of all the aroids for our members
>and I've come across a few problems that I need a little help with.
>The first problems are in Anthurium.
>What am I to do with Anthurium grande
>Which is valid:
>Anthurium grande N. E. Br. 1905
>Anthurium grande Sod. 1905
>Anthurium grande hort. Bull ex Gard. Chron 1865
>and what do I do with the others.

robert, I would say the Anthurium grande N. E. Br. 1905 is the legitimate
name.

Anthurium grande Sodiro, Anales Univ. Centr. Ecuador 20. 1905 = A.
conspicuum Sodiro
Anthurium grande hort. Bull 1865. the hort. tag puts this one out of the
running

Next one:
>Anthurium palmatifidum Van Houtte ex Schott 1865
>Anthurium palmatifidum Lem. 1846

The only reference I could find was for the Van Houtte ex Schott 1865. It
is listed as nom. dubium

>Also, what is going on with Anthurium scandens?

A. scandens has so many subsp. and var.  I think a  great many are
different species but any scandent anthurium was probobly given a varietal
name of scandens when some may be distinct species.

>I've been out of touch living in my own small world when someone
>shattered my reality by saying that this name may be invalid.

The name was validly published so it is valid. As follows: A. scandens
(Aubl.) Engl., Fl. Bras. 3(2):78. 1878.

12 subspp. forms. and varieties are also listed, some in synonomy.